For several years, the Rein’s Monastery had a good connection with the king seat in Norway. They provided gifts and support so that the monastery over time retained its high position. At this time the monastery was larger than Nidarosdomen in Trondheim, which was developed later. This perspective shows how important Rein was as a religious headquarter in Norway. After the Black Valley (1347-51), the decline of the monastery began and revenue fell sharply.
After the Reformation in 1526, Rein’s Monastery expired and in 1541 it became owned by Mrs. Ingers. In spite of decay, the monastery still owned 202 large farms from Møre to Nordland. After Mrs. Ingers’ death, Rein’s monastery became the king’s crown. Several owners came and went. In 1660 the farm was pledged by the king for a loan of 35,000 riksdaler. In 1675 the king did not manage to redeem the pledge, so the farm was handed over to Johan Gabrielson van Marselius from Holland. It is interesting to find out what the value of this loan may be in today’s monetary value. There are several calculations, and an annotation is around 50 million.
In 1704, Rein’s Monastery was sold to Ebbe Carstensen who married Anna Horneman. Your son Henrik became the next owner and he took his mother’s surname. In 1762, Attorney General Henrik Horneman bought the farm and the nearest goods. He operated both mining, sawmill and brickwork. The farm was inherited and in 1864, Thomas E. Horneman bought the farm of his cousin. Thomas E. Horneman was the first owner of Hornemanslekten who had agricultural education (from Sweden). Unlike former owners who were mainly businessmen, Thomas E. Horneman was keen to invest in farm operations. In 1866 he built the main building of Rein, designed by state engineer Dahl. This was built together with the older building that was already there (from about 1650). The old wing is located on the monastery’s original cellar. In 1868 he had built the country’s second dairy school. Later it became dairy before Rissa was building a new and bigger on Leira. In the early 1880s, Thomas E. Horneman performed the largest barn in Central Norway. This is on the farm today.
In 1888 the Fortids Memorial Association took over the monastery ruins. In 1904 the 200th anniversary celebrated with a common photograph for all the employees of the farm and the farmers who were in the main farm. For some, this was the first time they were photographed. A similar picture was taken in 2004 in connection with the 300th anniversary of descendants from the aforementioned image. In 1962, Marie Horneman gave the 300-year-old Borgstua to Rissa Bygdemuseum. They also downgrade some rooms in the dairy building, including a room that shows the life and work of the author Johan Bojer. It was Johan Bojer who financed and built Rein Church in 1932.